MOPA Goa, 10th December, The New airport in MOPA, North Goa will be inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi on 11th December. The new Goa International Airport limited (GIAL) is constructed by GMR Airports Limited (GAL). so here are all the details you need to know about upcoming airport at Goa.
Goa Mopa Airport Development and Features
The Upcoming Greenfield airport is being constructed by one of India’s Largest Airport development companies GMR Airports Limited (GAL) at Mopa, North Goa.
The Airport is developed under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, which is based on a Design, Build, Finance, Operate &Transfer (DBFOT) basis.
The airport was expected to be operational by 2019-2020 but due to supreme court impeded order and COVID-19 the opening was delayed to 2022. The airport is projected to be built with the total cost of 3000 crore INR (US$380 million) and will be built in four phases.
Goa Mopa Airport Inauguration and launch
The airport Projects to serve 5 million passengers per year and once fully operational it can serve up to 13 million passengers per year. The single runway airport with runway length of 3.7 KM or 12,303 Ft is expected to start its operation by 5th Jan 2023.
The airport will have 3 debutant airlines, two being domestic and one international carrier.
The IndiGo announces largest-ever station launch with new direct connections from New Goa International Airport. With 168 weekly flights connecting goa with 8 Major Indian cities.
The five destinations will be connected from 5th January 2023 which will include Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai and Pune. While another three will be connected next day from 6th January from Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, and Jaipur to Mopa.
IndiGo flight schedule for Mopa Goa Airport
|6E 0973||Chennai||Mopa||Daily except Wed||5-Jan-23||14:10||15:35|
|6E 6975||Mopa||Chennai||Daily except Wed||5-Jan-23||16:05||17:50|
|6E 6418||Ahmedabad||Mopa||Daily except Sun||6-Jan-23||5:35||7:15|
|6E 6419||Mopa||Ahmedabad||Daily except Sun||6-Jan-23||8:55||10:35|
Apart from IndiGo, Go First will also launch its direct flights from 3 cities including Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai. They will start with 42 weekly and direct flights.
The First International airline to start operation from new airport is Oman Air. The Oman Air will start a direct flight from Mopa to Muscat from 1st February 2023.
Goa Chief minister Pramod Sawant while speaking about Mopa Airport said,
“The old Dabolim airport currently receives around 70 daily flights, connecting about 20 domestic cities and 10-12 international destinations through direct charter flights. With Mopa International airport, the numbers will increase rapidly.”Goa CM Pramod Sawant statement
How to reach North Goa Mopa Airport?
- By cabs/taxi services: Airport taxi services are available, so you can take this service to travel to/ from the airport easily. You can rent running taxis or app-based cabs as well. Pre-booked cabs are one the great means to travel to the Mopa airport.
- By railway services: North Goa is well-connected via the railway system as well. Frequent railway services are available here, you can take a train to reach the New Goa Airport.
- Via bus: The state bus service is also operational in North Goa. You will find regular buses to the airport, making it easier to travel to/from airport.
Mopa Airport details – Pin code, IATA, and destination address
The Airport is located 35 km from Panjim, this newly built New Goa Airport is situated in Mopa, a village in North Goa. However, travelers can commute from/ to the airport very efficiently.
- Destination Address: PVV3+P2G, Mopa Goa – 403512
- IATA code: GOX
- ICAO Code: VOGA
- Airport pin code: 403512
- Opening date: 11th December, 2022
- Operational by: 5th January 2023
Where to stay near New Mopa Goa Airport?
- Rustique Blueville Hotel
- Casa Colvale
- Taj Holiday Village Resort & Spa
- Grand Hyatt Hotel
Places to visit near New Goa International Airport
Many Popular and Amazing tourist spots are situated in the northern part of Goa, i.e., near the New Goa Mopa Airport. Here are some notable ones –
- Baga Beach: It is one of the most famous beaches in Goa. Hundreds of visitors, both locals and foreigners, throng it to experience parasailing and paragliding. Also, you can opt for banana and bump rides here. Besides, do not forget to relish some great food from the shacks.
- Goa State Museum: In 1977, this museum was set up by the State Archaeological Depart at the famous Adil Shah Palace. There are a wide variety of objects such as stone sculptures, old manuscripts, bronzes, paintings, and artefacts.
- Anjuna Flea Market: This famous market of North Goa opens every Wednesday beside the famous Anjuna Beach. The official time of this market is from 10 am to 4 pm. You will find a wide variety of items starting from clothing to regular household items in this market.
- Dudhsagar Falls: Dudhsagar Falls or the ‘Sea of Milk’ is among the country’s tallest waterfalls. The waterfall gets its name from the fact that when water plummets, it looks like milk full of froth. The waterfall has four tiers and a height of 1017 ft.
- Basilica of Bom Jesus: Basilica of Bom Jesus is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The relics of Saint Francis Xavier have been enshrined here. The construction of the church began in 1595 and it was consecrated by May 1605. The church is known for its rich history and baroque architectural style.
- Vagator Hilltop: When you are visiting Goa, you will not miss out on Vagator Beach. But at the same time, go to the adjacent hilltop for a stunning panoramic view of the beach. For the photography enthusiast in you, this is a place to be, come sunset. Also, do not forget to sample the local food.
- Siolim Riverside Chapel: Talking about places to visit in North Goa, this chapel can be a great place. This riverside chapel is not overburdened with tourists, and you will mostly meet the locals here. So you can spend some time in the serenity of this place and enjoy nature.
- Chapora Fort: This is the place where the iconic movie ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ was shot, making it a popular tourist destination. The evening is the best time to visit this place to experience spectacular views of the sunset overlooking the scenic Chapora River.
- Panjim: With its cobbled lanes, old taverns, brightly painted houses, churches, and mansions, Panjim has the ambience of a little Mediterranean town. This city showcases grand Portuguese architecture and contains heritage areas that coexist with its modern buildings. Panjim is a city that one must explore while in Goa on the banks of the Mandovi River.
- Fort Aguada: The historic Fort Aguada and its adjacent lighthouse are popular destinations among tourists. It is a 17th-century Portuguese Fort standing on Sinquerim Beach overlooking the beautiful Arabian Sea. Aguada Fort, erected in 1612, encircling the entire peninsula at the southwestern extremity of the Bardez Taluka in North Goa, is known for being the first lighthouse in Asia.
Salient Features of New Goa Mopa Airport
The New Mopa Goa Airport will help boost Indian tourism industry. The airport will help reduce the load on Existing Dabolim airport and providing Fresh services and catering more passengers.
With PM Modi ji inaugurating the airport, it will bring more Domestic and International attention to it.
To conclude, the New Goa Mopa Airport will boost regional development. while also help passengers to have New Experiences around North Goa.
Join Our Telegram Group for Latest Aviation Updates: –https://t.me/aviationa2z
Stay connected with The Aero Nation (TAN)!